We have however made a demon of the fats and oils when it is an angel in disguise, required by our body for its various functions. A person who wants to lose weight is always told to stay away from oils and fats. The person goes to the extent of not adding any oil or fat to the diet with the fear that even a drop of it will make you gain a pound of fat!
Why are Fats Essential For Your Body?
- Subcutaneous fat is required for insulation and retaining body heat.
- Fat provides padding around the vital organs, holds them in place and absorbs the shock of physical blows.
- Fat is the carrier of fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K.
- Fat is a precursor of an important group of hormone-like compounds.
- Fat is an important constituent of cell structure, forming an integral part of the cell membrane.
Of our total calories, 25 to 30 percent should come from fats. Eating fats will not make you fat! Just consume fats in the right amount.
What is important is the kind of fat you consume – that does the trick!
Harmful Effects of Consuming Less Amount of Fats in Your Diet
- Low fat intake has been found to reduce the efficiency of enzymes to burn carbohydrates.
- Also, a low fat intake has a negative effect on the adipokines which have an impact on fat loss. The fat cells release Adipokines hormones in our body. Adiponectin is one such fat burning hormone that increases the rate at which fats are broken down by enhancing your body’s metabolism.
- A low-fat diet can decrease the HDL (the good cholesterol) and unbalance the bad cholesterol – the LDL.
- Low-fat diet lowers the testosterone levels in the body.
Advantages of Including Fats in your Diet
- Fat isn’t the easiest nutrient to digest, so it sticks around in the digestive system for more time than many other nutrients. That means you feel full longer, and you won’t feel the stomach-growling urge to raid the refrigerator after mealtime.
- Fats help in making the immune system stronger. Saturated Fats such like butter and coconut oil contain anti-microbial and anti-fungal fatty acids which help fight infections.
- Fats promote better skin and eye health. A deficiency of fatty acids leads to dry skin and dry eyes.
- Fat intake helps in strengthening the brain health and also can decrease the risk of depression.