There are various reasons for a frozen shoulder. You may experience it after a stroke, or if you have been suffering from diabetes. You may also experience it after an injury or due to some form of substance overuse. In most cases, you will experience the stiffness in a slow and gradual progression, which may get better in a year or so.
Your doctor can assist you in treating the same with the help of medication, or even surgery. However, yoga is a natural healing process that can help to eliminate the stiffness, reduce tension in the area, ease pain and help you regain mobility. Try these easy poses that can reduce the discomfort and get you going.
3 Yoga Poses To Ease A Frozen Shoulder
- Sit down in a cross legged position.
- Place your right knee over the left one so that your left heel touches the right hip. The right heel should touch the left hip.
- Lift your right hand over your head and fold at the elbow. Now stretch it downward to reach the back. Fold your left hand at the elbow and take it backwards.
- Hold your arms together by locking your fingers. Keep your back as straight as you can.
- Keep breathing at your normal pace till a count of 5.
- Slowly get back to your regular position and do the same steps with the reverse hand and leg.
- Repeat a few times.
This particular yoga pose will help you stretch the muscles in your shoulders, neck and back and help to reduce the stiffness.
- Stand with your back straight.
- Place the right palm on your left shoulder. Now stretch out your right hand to the side and take it backwards to touch the left shoulder from the back.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Repeat a few times.
This particular yoga pose will help to improve blood circulation around your shoulder and neck area.
3. Shoulder Rotations
- Stand straight with your spine erect and hands placed at the sides.
- Now start rotating the shoulders, first in a clockwise motion and then in an anti-clockwise motion.
- Make sure your hands are placed at the sides and touching your body.
- Repeat both clockwise and anti-clockwise motion for at least 10 times each.
This particular yoga pose will help to reduce stiffness and improve mobility in the shoulders and back.
Tips To Ease Frozen Shoulder Pain
In addition to yoga, you can also try the following to ease the pain and discomfort:
- Apply an ice pack in the morning and evening to the affected area.
- Regularly practice stretching exercises to improve blood circulation and ease stiffness.
- Avoid carrying weights as much as possible.
- If you are wearing a bag, place the strap on the shoulder that is not affected.
You may also get in touch with our physiotherapist to assist with regular exercises that can help.