Instead of bursting that zit, take a moment to understand what it could be, and try these effective remedies.
Acne is a type of skin condition where you get bumps across your skin in the form of tiny rashes. These may sometimes look just like a rash, or may be filled with pus. You may be tempted to burst it, but doing so can lead to permanent scarring.
In youngsters, acne is mainly caused due to the hormonal changes in the body at the time of puberty. Also, when pores get clogged up it can lead to the appearance of acne. Adult acne is mainly caused due to hormonal changes.
- Make a paste using 2 tsp baking soda and some water. Apply all over the face, leave on for about 10 minutes and wash with regular water.
- Make a paste of 1 tsp cinnamon powder, 2 tbsp. baking soda, 5 tbsp. honey and the juice from half a lemon.
Blackheads are a type of acne that is darker in appearance than regular acne, hence the name ‘black’. This is because they contain oxidized melanin which is a type of pigment that is made by skin cells.
When hair follicles on the skin get clogged, it leads to blackheads. Often dead skin and body oils get collected around the skin follicles and lead to a type of bump known as comedone. When the skin over this bump opens up, it gets exposed to air and makes it look darker, causing blackheads.
- Make a mix using 1 tsp honey and 1 egg white. Apply it over your face, leave on for 10 minutes and wash off.
- Mix 1 tbsp. turmeric powder with 2 tbsp. of freshly crushed mint leaves. Apply over your face, leave on for 10 minutes wash off.
Whiteheads are a type of acne that is lighter in appearance than regular acne and hence the name ‘white’.
When hair follicles on the skin get clogged, it leads to whiteheads. Dead skin and body oils get collected around the skin follicles and lead to a type of bump known as comedone. When the skin over this bump stays closed, the follicle does not get exposed to any air and does not get oxidized. As a result it stays white.
- Make a mix of 4 tbsp. powdered oats, 2 tbsp. yogurt, 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. lime juice. Apply on the face, leave on for 20 minutes and wash it off.
- Make a mix using 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. sugar. Apply on the face, massage and wash off.
Papules And Pustules
Papules and pustules happen when the walls around the clogged pores break down and lead to big spots around the area. Papules are harder and are often seen in clusters. Pustules are yellowish in appearance and are filled with fluid.
Home Remedies For Papules
- Crush a few strawberries and apply the juice on the face, leave for about 10 minutes then wash off.
- Crush orange peels and mix with some water. Apply this on the face, leave for about 10 minutes then wash off.
Home Remedies For Pustules
- Crush cabbage leaves and mix with a little olive oil. Apply on the face, leave on for about 10 minutes then wash off.
- Grate onions and apply the juice on the face, leave on the face for about 10 minutes and then wash off.
Cysts And Nodules
Cysts are the appearance on the skin that look like sacs and are filled with some type of substance, whether it is liquid, semi-liquid, gaseous or solid. Cysts are very similar to blisters. A cyst occurs when there is a blockage of the sebaceous gland.
A nodule occurs right below the skin level when there is growth in an abnormal tissue. Nodules are often mistaken for cysts and boils.
Home Remedies For Cysts
- Apply castor oil on your face and keep it on for an hour or so. Wash it off with regular water.
- Grate a potato and apply the juice on your face. Leave it on overnight and wash off.
Home Remedies For Nodules
- Have 2 tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil each day in the morning.
- Apply tea tree oil on the face and leave on for half an hour.
All home remedies shared here are supposed to work effectively on different types of acne. However, make sure that you visit a dermatologist if the symptoms do not improve within a week.