Lamaze Classes – Origin and Features
Lamaze Classes originated in the 1940s in France. Dr Fernand Lamaze commenced a Method of Natural Childbirth in France, founded on the principles he observed in the Soviet Union / Russia. Lamaze classes gained popularity during the early 1960s in the USA. Now it has become popular in India too.
Lamaze Classes help mothers give birth to her baby with confidence. Although, the eventual delivery is based on how the mother responds to the labor pains with the aid of the gynaecologist, a caregiver and at least one loved one around, It is better if you are prepared with childbirth lessons during your pregnancy.
Lamaze classes give you an education on childbirth, teach you a mix of breathing techniques and relaxation routines to help you through your pregnancy. The mother should have a continuous support from the father and a trained nurse or doula caregiver during pregnancy and childbirth to ensure emotional balance and secure childbirth.
Lamaze Six Healthy Birth Practises
Lamaze practitioners worldwide teach Lamaze Six Healthy Birth Practises:
- Healthy Birth Practices 1: The Labor Pain must begin on its own.
- Healthy Birth Practices 2: The mother should walk, move and change positions throughout the labor
- Healthy Birth Practices 3: The other should be accompanied by a loved one, trained nurse or a Doula Caregiver during delivery for continuous support.
- Healthy Birth Practices 4: Unnecessary Medical Interventions must be avoided during childbirth
- Healthy Birth Practices 5: While delivering the baby, the mother should follow the body’s urges to push and should avoid giving birth on her back.
- Healthy Birth Practices 6: The mother and the baby must be kept together – Its the best for the mother, the baby and breastfeeding.
The mission of Lamaze International is to promote safe and healthy pregnancy, childbirth and early parenting through evidence-based education and advocacy. Their vision is “knowledgeable parents making informed decisions.”
The Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator (LCCE) designation is awarded to those who, after a period of learning and teaching, sit for and pass a certification exam. This exam is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), the only childbirth education organisation to hold this designation.