Asthma is one of the most common breathing problems, and is a type of inflammatory disease that affects the lungs. If you suffer from asthma, you will find it hard to breathe, and may feel a kind of tightness in your chest and airways, that makes your breathing restricted.
5 Home Remedies To Help Ease Asthma Symptoms
While these may work round the year, here are a few home remedies that will help you beat asthma and breathe easier, especially around Diwali.
1. Clove Water
- Add about 5 to 8 cloves in half a glass of water and pour in a pan. Boil till you can feel the aroma releasing.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Add a tsp of honey and stir it well. Drink this water twice a day.
Clove has various anti-fungal, antiseptic, antimicrobial and antiviral properties that help prevent and treat asthma.
2. Mustard Camphor Rub
- Take about 1 tbsp. of mustard oil and warm it up, making sure not to heat it too much.
- Add a bit of camphor to the warm oil and stir it, till the camphor mixes with the oil.
- Remove from heat and cool it to a warm temperature, so that it will not cause any burn on the skin. Massage this oil on the chest area once or twice a day.
Mustard oil can help open up airways as the vapors clear up blocked passages.
3. Ginger, Honey, Pomegranate
- In a bowl, add a piece of ginger, about 2 to 3 tbsp. of pomegranate seeds and 1 tbsp. honey.
- Crush them together so that the ginger and the pomegranate seeds release their juices.
- Drink this juice few times a day to get relief.
Both honey and ginger have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that make it easier for oxygen to flow to the lungs.
4. Onion, Pepper, Honey Juice
- Grate an onion to get about 1/4th cup of onion juice.
- Add a tsp of honey and just a bit of black pepper.
- Mix well and have it once or twice a day.
Honey and onion have anti-inflammatory properties. Pepper has anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties, as well as properties that ease respiratory conditions.
5. Ginger, Cinnamon, Tulsi
- Grate some ginger to get about 1 tsp of ginger juice.
- Add this to a cup of warm water, along with a dash of cinnamon powder.
- Stir well and drink once or twice a day.
Ginger has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that make it easier for oxygen to flow to the lungs. Cinnamon reduces allergic reactions, while tulsi relieves respiratory problems.
Other Foods That Are Good To Ease Asthma
- Foods rich in magnesium, such as brown rice, green leafy vegetables, beans, whole wheat
- Olive oil
- Foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids such as salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel