In our various articles, we have shared how you can relieve back pain during pregnancy in a safe and easy way. In addition, we’re sharing some effective, safe and easy exercises with you that will help you relieve the pain.
Safety Warning: Before trying any of these exercises, make sure you speak to your doctor and get a go-ahead.
5 Exercises That Will Relieve Back Pain During Pregnancy
Various factors can cause back pain when you are pregnant, such as hormonal changes, weight gain, shift in your center of gravity, and such. Make sure to visit your doctor and understand any dos and don’ts that are unique to your pregnancy health. Here are a few easy exercises you can try at home that will help ease the pain.
1. Low Back Stretch
- Place yourself on your hands and knees on a mat. Gently pull your stomach inward and let your back move up a bit. Hold the pose for a few seconds, as long as you are comfortable.
- Release the pose and keep your back and head in a straight line.
- Repeat a few times.
2. Forward Bend
- Sit straight on a chair and keep your arms relaxed.
- Slowly bend forward and let your hands stay loose in front of you. Hold the pose for a few seconds, as long as you are comfortable.
- Get up slowly and reach the original position. Repeat a few times till you are comfortable.
3. Rocking Pose
- Get down on the mat on your hands and legs, with your weight comfortably balanced. Keep your back straight and don’t let it sag.
- Gently rock your body in a back and forth motion, to the count of five.
- Come back to the starting position and arch your back till you are comfortable. Hold and repeat.
4. Pull Down Bar
- Sit down with your knees crossed. Stretch your arms up and imagine you are holding a weight bar.
- Pull your arms downwards behind your head, as if you are pulling down weights. Your elbows should extend towards the sides. Hold for a few seconds.
- Go back to the starting position and repeat.
5. Upright Row
- Stand straight with your feet at shoulder-width distance. Relax your knees and arms.
- Pull up the elbows to reach your shoulders and tighten your muscles. Hold for a few seconds and lower to the starting position.
Quick Tips To Ease Pregnancy Back Pain
- Use a hot and cold compress on the back, but never on the abdomen.
- Exercise regularly to avoid excessive weight gain.
- Maintain good posture as much as you can.
- Use rolled up towels on your lower back area when you are sitting or lying down.
- Stay hydrated.
- Wear doctor recommended shoes to help your feet manage all the extra weight.